Friday, November 11, 2011

Urban Decay Book of Shadows 4: Review







Urban Decay released it's fourth Book of Shadows September of 2011. It is limited edition and retails for $64(purchase at your local Sephora or Ulta). The book contains sixteen eyeshadows(10 are new to the palette), one full size 24/7 waterproof liquid eyeliner in Carbon Black, one travel size Super Curl mascara in black, one travel size primer potion, and a mini speaker keychain. 

The palette is butterfly themed and the packaging is very eye catching. But isn't every Urban Decay palette? The palette comes with a card that has QR codes on the back accessible for scanning them with your smart phone. When scanned, your phone should bring you to a "how to" video on how to do a certain look with the makeup provided in your palette. Keep in mind that you may need to purchase your QR reader but some are free. I've noticed from my experience that the codes are kind of close together and sometimes my iphone does not even read them. Another thing that came with your palette is your speaker keychain, and a cord that you can plug into your phone. In case your phone isn't loud enough, this can be a connivence to you. I felt that the speaker was kind of fuzzy sounding and I just stuck with the speakers on my phone.

The shadows range from brights to neutrals, and most of the finishes are very shimmery.  I'm more of a matte finish person but some of the colors have really dragged me in. My favorite color in the palette has to be Midnight Rodeo. It's a beige shimmer with just a tad of silver glitter in it. I use it in the crease and it is absolutely gorgeous. Some of the colors I have had trouble with. I'm so used to Urban Decay shadows being nothing but pure pigmentation but unfortunately, not all of the colors have lived up to my standard. Blue Bus, skimp, and Gravity do not have the best color payoff.  Blue bus is very chalky and it looks very uneven when I applied it to my lid. I felt that Gravity did the same thing but the color payoff was better then Blue Bus. It is buildable, but then it just looks like a muddy mess. Skimp was a bit sheer, but it is a really good highlight for the inner corner or under the brow bone. 

The packaging of this palette is of course not travel friendly like other Urban Decay Palettes. The packaging is very bulky, and the drawer that you have to pull out to see all of the makeup is very hard to pull sometimes. 

I have played around with the technology in this palette, and I have to say Urban Decay was really thinking when they made this palette. Technology is such a hit these days why not make it so you can involve it with your makeup too! The idea of putting looks on a card that you can read it with your smart phone was defiantly a way of people saying "Wow, I wonder how that works!" I mean, the palette comes with a holder that can be a stand for your phone.   If you are willing to splurge the sixty four dollars for the palette, I would say this is the perfect beginners palette. It comes with everything you would need to create a beautiful eye look. Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment